Monday, August 10, 2009

The Emerald City

Hey all!

I know it's been a while, but I have a HUGE update from my weekend in Ireland. I did not take my computer so I've been missing on the internet for a bit. Don't worry. I'm back!

So Dublin, like Ireland in general is by no means a very large city, but it is still packed with many things. This spire is a recent addition, and it marks the center of the city.



Trinity College is the largest in the city. Some notable alumni include Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett, and Jonathon Swift (more on him later!)




Down the road is Dublin Castle. Destroyed mostly by fire in the 18th century, this is the only remnants of the original castle wall and tower.



Dublin is home to also two notable Cathedrals. The first is Christ Church Cathedral that dates back to the viking age! Though the building is not that old, the site has been used for a millennium.



Inside, there are many ornamentations, but the most exciting part was the crypt.



A few blocks away is St. Patrick's Cathedral, named after the patron saint of Ireland. Though not as old, it's substantially bigger than Christ Church.



Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver's Travels, was dean here for thirty years. Inside, I found his grave!


Last, but not least, I went to the Guinness storehouse. It was a very high tech museum that told the Guinness story and how they process the beer. Very cool!



The best part was the free pint they gave to the visitors.



Well, that is just HALF of my journey. In a day or so, I'll post more pictures from the Irish countryside and what I experienced there. Cheers!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment